Our NJROTC was recently awarded the “Unit Achievement Award” for the 2018-19 school year. All of the cadets and especially our outstanding cadet staff including Commanding Officer Victor Pagan-Cordova (future Army Officer with a 3 year scholarship to FSC), Executive Officer Mariely Sanchez (future Army Officer with a 3- year scholarship to FSC), Operations Officer Joilee Colvin (attending Travis Tech to be a dental assistant), Administrative Officer Colton Pratt (future Air Force airman), Community Service Officer Maria Chavez (Commanding Officer for the 19-120 school year) and Blake Cayson (Drill Team Commander and Executive Officer for the 19-20 school year) deserve a lot of credit for their hard work throughout the 2018-19 school year.
Here is the short list of our accomplishments:
- Over one third of the unit, 51 cadets, on the honor roll.
- 1,139 hours of community service, including the school’s recycling program.
- Field trip to Kings Bay Naval Base in Georgia (submarine base).
- College ROTC visits – Embry Riddle and FSC Lakeland.
- Participation in two drill meets.
- Participation in three orienteering meets.
- Participation in five academic meets (“brain brawls”).
- Hosted and participated in the Polk County Cadet Challenge athletic meet.
- Participated in eleven rifle matches (Division Champion — Polk County Western Division, 3rdplace Polk County, and 6th place NJROTC unit in Florida).
- Hosted and took 3rd place in the State VFW Rifle Match.
- 39% of cadets passed the Physical Fitness Test (1 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups).
- Two cadets, graduating seniors Victor Pagan and Mariely Sanchez, received 3-year Army ROTC scholarships to attend Florida Southern College in the fall of 2019.
- Eight cadets served in Student Body Leadership positions.
- Presented the colors for 18 events requiring a color guard.
Congratulations to our Hounds!
Please join me in congratulating the cadets of Auburndale High School for their outstanding accomplishments!