Auburndale H.S. NJROTC was recently awarded the “Unit Achievement Award” for the 2017-18 school year. Our outstanding cadet staff including, Commanding Officer Abygayle Rausch (future Naval Officer), Executive Officer James Kiddy (future Marine), Operations Officer Hailey Auterson (studying aeronautics at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University) and Administrative Officer Corey Miller (future Coast Guardsman), deserve a great deal of credit for their hard work throughout the 2017-18 school year.
Here is the short list of their accomplishments:
- One third of the unit, 53 cadets, on the honor roll.
- Over 900 hours of community service, including the school’s recycling program.
- Visits to the aircraft carrier Yorktown in Charleston, the Navy SEAL Museum and the Lakeland Air Show.
- College ROTC visits – USF Tampa and FSC Lakeland.
- Participation in three drill meets.
- Participation in four orienteering meets.
- Participation in six academic meets (“brain brawls”), took 1st place for one academic meet.
- Hosted and participated in the Polk County Cadet Challenge athletic meet.
- Participated in eleven rifle matches (Division Champion, Polk County Western Division, and 5th place NJROTC unit in Florida).
- Hosted and participated in the State VFW Rifle Match.
- 42% of cadets passed the Physical Fitness Test (1 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups).
- One cadet, Abygayle Rausch, was nominated and appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy for the fall of 2018.
- Presented the colors for 21 events requiring a color guard.
Congratulations to the cadets of Auburndale High School for their outstanding accomplishments!